As a Windows user, you probably need to download stuffs from Internet regularly; but sometimes, the download speed doesn’t perform as expectation. Let me help you fixing it.

At the moment, I guess that you’re on Windows 10, since it is the most stable and popular version of Windows being used and recommended by Microsoft.

Sometimes, when your Internet service is okay but your download speed seems to be stuck or limited somewhere. I believe you can feel it, if you’re familiar with Windows enough.

You might question, is there anyway to improve or fix the download speed for your PC?

Luckily, it’s possible.

Read below sections, I will show you two ways to find out and improve your download speed in no time.

No technical skill required!

Method 1: Remove reservable bandwidth

One secret thing you might not know about Windows 10 is this.

By default, Windows 10 will only allow to use 80% of bandwidth, and leaving 20% for internal use. So that means, the entire proportion of Internet speed is limited, that leads to slowing down the download speed.

So, in order to improve download speed, you will need to remove such limitation on Windows bandwidth.

Following my steps below.

Step 1: Open the Run dialog by pressing the combination, Windows + R.

Step 2: Type this word gpedit.msc, then press Enter. You will see the Group Policy Editor open.

Open Group Policy Editor
Open Group Policy Editor – HackingMeister.com

Step 3: On the left pane, locate the following destination policy group: Computer Configuration – Administrative Templates – Network – QoS Packet Scheduler. After that, you can see the right pane, and double-click to select this key Limit reservable bandwidth.

Select Limit Reservable Bandwidth
Select “Limit Reservable Bandwidth” – HackingMeister.com

Step 4: Select Enabled option, then set the Bandwidth limit to 0%.

Set Limit reservable bandwidth to 0%
Set Limit reservable bandwidth to 0% – HackingMeister.com

Step 5: Click on Apply, then OK.

Be aware that, you MUST choose Enabled and set bandwidth limit to 0% in order to override default configuration. If you choose Not Configured or Disabled, Windows 10 will set default to 80% limitation.

Method 2: Disable delivery optimization

On Windows 10, there is a pretty interesting feature that helps other PCs on same network to share Windows 10 distribution partially. It is enabled by default and works in background.

So, if there are more Windows 10 PCs in your local network, your Windows 10 will try to connect and either deliver or retrieve parts of latest Windows 10 updates among others. This behavior is quite uncomfortable for many Windows users, I think.

Luckily, there is a way to disable it. Here’s what you need to do.

Step 1: Open your Windows Settings window, by clicking on Windows logo and type Settings. Click on the result to access the Windows Settings.

Step 2: Click on Update & Security item.

Select Update & Security item
Select Update & Security item – HackingMeister.com

Step 3: Click on Advanced Options to move to next screen.

Select Advanced Options
Select Advanced Options – HackingMeister.com

Step 4: Click on Delivery Optimization to reach final destination window.

Step 5: Click to disable the option “Allow downloads from other PCs” like following.

Disable option "Allow downloads from other PCs"
Disable option “Allow downloads from other PCs” – HackingMeister.com

So you’re done.

From now, your PC won’t share anything or connect to any other Windows 10 on same network to do some unnecessary background stuffs.

Conclusion

I’ve told you two methods I think are the best secret hidden inside Windows 10 that affects much to your computer download speed.

As I experience so far, that works pretty well. Especially, if you often play games on Steam network or download torrent from Internet.

If you follow my instructions carefully, you will see great results for download speed.

That’s all and enjoy!